Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Coding with the SDK

Yes, there has been quite a bit of lag between posts. I started to suffer from the Fallen Tree in Forest syndrome. I'm trying to make a melody with this blog but I'm not sure if it is even making a sound. That said, I'm posting again. I'm doing this not to force a noise in a plethora of internet data.  I feel the need to share my lessons learned with Objective-C and the iphone SDK. 

Here is where I am so far (in order):
  • Downloaded the newest SDK - Duh
  • Downloaded the core documentation for the SDK via xcode workspace guide - Getting Warmed up
  • Ran through iphone Fundamental Documents - Shallow Waters
  • Started the "Your First iphone Application" document in the workspace guide - Where's the boat?!?!
I'll pause there. There were really no issues following the documentation and getting a working application.  It was way more than an echo "Hello World". As a total laymen in Objective-C and lacking a solid C++ background, I needed something a little easier to make the connection. 


Of course you could find plenty of other places to go, but I found this one as I was searching for something familiar to grab hold of. I've been doing plenty of php scripting and this was a useful transition site. 

After getting aquatinted with my first application and reading some basics on Objective-C, I downloaded all the sample programs on the Apple Developers website. I'll say that I'm making some progress.

The goal of all of this? Besides being part of a technical tsunami, I've been avoiding non-scripting languages. Now was as good as any time to start tinkering again. I'll let you know how long I last.

No comments: